Whether you have just reserved a house renovation or are thinking about embarking on one, what should you expect while working with a contractor? To help you browse the process we’ve compiled a list of 8 things to keep in mind during a home renovation.
1. You’ll Be the Talk of the Neighbourhood
Renovations draw a lot of attention. Speak with your neighbors about the degree of the renovation and also the projected timeline. Keeping everyone in the loop, and also the occasional coffee and donuts will guarantee your BBQ celebration invitation for years to come!
2. Bear in Mind That It’s a Procedure
The restoration process is simply that, a procedure. There’ll be times when you can’t contain your excitement just like on demo day or any time your dream tub is installed. But there may also be boring days when progress appears slow. Ever watch wiring being installed? It is sort of like watching paint dry! Just try to relax and enjoy the journey.
3. Rethink Your Daily Routine
If you’ll be at home throughout the renovation, we can guarantee that your day-to-day routine is going to change. There’ll be sections of this house you may have limited access to, people coming and going during the day, often quite early, and a lot of extra noise.
You will need to be flexible with your patterns (don’t forget to elongate first!). Think about what may need to shift so that work and family lives can continue as normally as possible. And provide a little extra thought to the tiniest members of the family…children, and pets! They will be lots of new adventures for them to enjoy (we make certain to provide opportunities to observe how we work!) However, you’re going to want to make sure that for the most part they are stored safely out of their way.
4. You’ll Want to Shoot Photos
Before. During. After! You do not need fancy equipment, all you need is a mobile phone with a camera on it. Do not forget to take it out of your pocket to catch the entire process.
In progress, photos are great for keeping family members and friends up-to-date and also to monitor how far you have come. You’d be amazed how quickly you forget the old pink bathtub or green shag carpet!
5. Find a Way to Stay Organized
Even though a fantastic contractor will take up to your plate as possible, you are still going to have plenty of decisions to make. It may be the old-fashioned paper and pen variety or you can go digital (there’s probably a program for this).
It is going to be useful to have one spot for note-taking, to-do lists, also for writing the questions that pop up in your head while you’re cleaning your teeth.
6. Yes, There’ll Be Mess!
Your house will be a building site. No matter the preventative steps, such as dust obstacles and floor covers, dirt will escape into other parts of the house (it’s sneaky like that!).
With the excess foot vehicles and traffic your yard may also be subject to a bit of tear and wear, so be prepared to demonstrate your home a little additional love during the reno, indoors and out.
7. What You Should Expect From The Organization
Your contractor is going to be your new best friend over the course of your renovation so it’s important to select wisely!
A great builder (& team) would be:
- In continuous communication (i.e. they will never ghost one)
- respectful to you, your family, and your house
- professional (i.e. be on their Very Best behavior at all times)
- punctuation and appear on the agreed upon occasions
Hey, that sounds like us!
8. What Your Contractor Should Expect From You
To help your renovation operate easily, there are a few things that you can do to encourage your contractor as well.
As a great customer you need to be:
- In constant communication (we would love to have the ability to read minds but that’s not that our superpower!)
- Patient, particularly now that some matters may take longer
- critical, which will keep things moving along
- welcoming (i.e. make the staff feel that you’re pleased to see them). A team that feels appreciated will frequently go the excess mile. Additionally, you’ll be happier too!
With these strategies in mind, are you prepared to begin a house renovation?
Have a look at our featured projects for inspiration or view our handy Renovation Guide to begin. To talk with our Project Managers telephone 519-664-2245. Visit this website to learn more about home renovations Guelph.